Loading...

History

History

Walter Martens and Sons Funeral Home has been serving the west side of Cleveland for over 70 years. We are honored to be a part of the neighborhood’s rich history and plan to be a part of it for many years to come.

Just as history is important to our families, our history is very important to us. It is what has helped shaped us and it is what you, our families, have come to know us for.

The Martens relationship with this neighborhood started as early as 1903 when William Martens, the great-grandfather of current funeral home owner, Walter Martens, Jr., opened his tailor shop at West 97th Street and Lorain. In the 1920s, William’s son, Edward Martens, would join him. In addition to running the tailor shop, Edward would open and run Martens Café after Prohibition. The Café was located at West 100th Street and Lorain, next to Schnidler’s Fabrics.

As a student attending St. Ignatius of Antioch grade school, at the corner of Lorain Avenue and West Boulevard, Edward’s oldest son, Walter, would pass the former Nickels Funeral Home. This was his inspiration to open his own funeral home as a young adult. After attending the former Cleveland School of Embalming and serving his required apprenticeship, Walter opened Martens Funeral Home on October 23, 1948. Walter would run the funeral home with his wife, Pauline, by his side until his death in December,1989.

In the late 1960s, Walter would be joined by his oldest son, Walter, Jr. Within the next few years, his two other sons, Edward and Michael, as well as his daughter-in-law, Bernadine, would all become licensed funeral directors and join the family business as well.

Still family owned and operated by Walter, Jr., our family is proudly looking forward to celebrating our 75th anniversary in October, 2023.

Walter Martens & Sons Funeral Home
Phone: (216) 281-7111
9811 Denison Ave., Cleveland, OH 44102


© Walter Martens & Sons Funeral Home
Crafted with care by Frazer Consultants and TA

Privacy Policy & Terms of Use